Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Drive Home

We spent the last session of General Conference on the road, driving home from the cabin.  The snow was falling (yes, in April) and it was dreary.  I was so excited once 2 o'clock came and we could turn on the last session.  Not only did it help pass the time, but it also made the drive MUCH more pleasant!    at almost
2 o'clock, John put his hand over on my leg to hold my hand.  I love it when we hold hands...we do it lots in the car.  It is such an easy way to show love, and it makes me feel good!  Richard G. Scott gave a wonderful talk on   Marriage and Family.  Isn't this what the gospel is essentially made of?  Richard G. Scott told of his wonderful wife who has since passed on.  He talked about how she would often slip love notes in places he frequented (his scriptures) and how eventually, he would do the same.  Come to find out, she had saved each and every love note he had written to her.  I don't think finding the right person to marry for 'time and all eternity' is an easy thing to do.  I don't think I could have ever chosen someone so wonderful and perfect as John.  Elder Scott went on to tell a story about how he had been away on business for a few weeks...and a few hours later was scheduled to go to a meeting.   When he came home from that trip, his wife was washing the clothes by hand, as their washing machine had broken.  He was an engineer and naturally went to fix the machine.  She asked  him what he was doing, and he said 'fixing the washer so you don't have to wash the clothes by hand.'  She immediately told him to quit doing that and to go play with the children.  He did, and he was glad that he did.  He noted that he would have probably forgotten that experience, had the next experience not have happened.  At about 4a.m. the following morning, he recounts :  "I was awakened as I felt two little arms around my neck, a kiss on the cheek and these words whispered in my ear that I will never forget: 'Dad, I love you; you are my best friend." Richard G. Scott's other son who was  terminally sick with heart failure, died a few months later.  I just loved that talk, and I cried (surprise, surprise.)

He asked in his talk:

Are you having that kind of experience with your children?  If you are not, you are missing one of the supernal joys in life.

"Two of the vital pillars that sustain Father in Heaven's Plan of Happiness are the family and the home," Elder Scott said. "Their lofty significance is underscored by Satan's relentless efforts to splinter family relations and to undermine the significance of the temple ordinances which bind the family together for eternity. He does this by constant encouragement to promote promiscuity and to defile the sacred intimate expression of love between a husband and wife that results in the birth of children."


His talk was definitely food for thought!



0 comments:

Post a Comment