Monday, March 7, 2011

Making Relief Society 'Purse'-onal

I am so excited for the Relief Society Birthday Party!  SO much work goes into the planning and carrying out of this yearly event, and this year is no exception.  I don't know why I insist on making the invitations cute (expensive, time consuming, etc.) but I seem to always do that.  I have an awesome committee who sees my (and Diane's) visions and has the capacity to carry them out!  I spent several hours tracing and cutting out over 110 invitations with 110 of the same shape inserts, plus 110 more inside tabs, just for a splash of color.  I handed them over to Evelyn to glue them in and glue in some darling sequin handles.  She did wonderfully!  I realized once I got them all back that I even needed more!  I ended up making from start to finish about 25 more.  They took hours, but I hope that it will make someone want to come!  If that is the case, they were just worth it.  We are going to do Cafe Rio-type salads, a few fun purse themed games, have bundt cakes and purse shaped cakes, lots of balloons, and hopefully lots of fun.  If only I can remember to take some pictures of the night!  (I sure love having the internet where any fabulous idea is at your fingertips!  There are so many incredible ideas out there...I am good at copying!)






I really love my calling and this year, finally, I think I may can gotten into some sort of groove.  I am sorry to Diane that it has taken a whole year to accomplish that!

I can't even tell you how much I love the ward that I am in, the people who I rub shoulders with every single day.  I also think that part of what makes someone want to be active, to serve, to be a part of the ward (really) has to put something into it, too.  I don't think that just by going to church and having it be a routine thing will ever fully get us involved, though I know that is sometimes all people can do--and I understand that.  Accepting callings, showing happiness, showing compassion, and really caring about people are all part of the necessary things that we need to do!  I feel like when these things are not done, it is lost on us!  My life is happy.  I am grateful for a husband who supports me and my calling, and now I have the chance to support him in his.  He has been called to serve as Secretary in the beloved Young Mens organization.  It is amazing to see how he cares about them already (yes, I am talking about my dear, sweet, John.)  I love being a part of something so wonderful!

Before John received his calling in the ward, he was invited by the previous YM presidency to attend the 'Kinda Klondike.'  It was up at Chris and Susan McCandless' cabin.  John brought his snowmobile down from our cabin for the occasion (ok, that's why he was invited in the first place.)  The very next day, that presidency was released and John was put in--that honestly was no surprise to me based off the conversation John had with the Bishop (alone, all the way to and from the cabin in Fairview!)

It is my very favorite when people see John 'come out of his shell' and see him not for what he portrays himself to be (I call him a prick!)  but the sweetest, most wonderful man in all the planet.  I love it when people discover the jewel that I have!

I hope John doesn't kill me for posting these pictures!



2 comments:

mrs-mcallister

Oh you are such a good Relief Society teacher, wish you were at my ward. :D

Our Family

Jordann! Even more exciting--while I do teach once every 3 months, I am in the Presidency! I serve with the most awesome girls, you have NO idea! I'm glad that you are going to yours! Ours is pretty rad, though!

Post a Comment